Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Damaged Books:

I have worked at the bindery for three long summers! I love it don't get me wrong.. but standing for 8 hours a day for 40 hours a week isn't as easy as you'd think. Not to complain. The money rocks though! The Bindery basically paid/are paying  for my college. Thank you Bridgeport National Bindery. Don't get my wrong I work hard for that money.. but still. 


Back to the story. After all those many days slaving away in the bindery. Thus it is with a heavy heart I regretfully inform you that I, Miriam Baird damaged my first book. It is very sad I know. Heart breaking really. SAD DAY times a million!!! 


I have no excuse. But I'll try and talk my out of it anyways. I had a BAD luck day. I broke three machines. The Hydro-Press froze on a book. It was stuck for a long time. The Hydro-Press is like a huge machine that comes down a flattens the books. You know that crease on the covers, that's where it comes from. Sometimes when the book slides the lever that comes down to hold the book before you flatten it pinches my fingers. It makes me think bad words. Good news though: Ralph finally fixed it, I have been informed that this happens a lot with this machine. But still. 


Then the Nipper didn't want to work. This one is really scary to me. I still like to work it. But it frightens me. You know if Star Wars the giant pit (the Jab-the-Hut one) it reminds me of that one. You put the books down in a 'pit' and push down on the pedal a the 'jaws' come and pinch the book together. It just gets to me! Makes loud noises and stuff. Anyways, that one Joe fixed me for though. Still it was upsetting. 


Following that, the Pray-cut decided to get stuck. The Pray-cut takes the spine off of books (When they are still in there covers). It's actually one of my fav's. I don't why.. just is. This one,  I kicked it a few times and pushed all the shiny buttons. Eventually it fixed! But in my excitement of fixing the machine. I cut a book on the Pray-cut that was suppose to be cut on the Backwacker. (Backwacker is a HUGE knife that cuts) Since I cut it on the machine I cut off the words. SIgh. The worst part is I didn't even notice! Sara brought it up to my attention later. Then I was informed that I was going to have to cut my finger off. The bindery has an "eye-for-an-eye" policy.    


So I took the walk of shame, very prepared to do my time. I did the crime. I didn't lose my finger that day.. but I did lose my pride. 

No comments:

Post a Comment