Tuesday, July 5, 2011

If you could go back:

If you could back in time, what would you change?! This morning I was so sure of like a million moments in life I would change. Maybe this is because it's been on my mind lately, but mostly this came to my mind because I saw the movie 127 hours (would not recommend it) in the movie he wished he could go back in time and tell people where he was so he could have been saved and not have had to cut his arm off. So I got to thinking and if you really think about it going back would be a pretty bad idea. The mistakes you make get you to a point in your life that you need to be. A lesson that you need to learn. Something that although potentially painful, needed to happen; so that you could grow.  Here are some examples: 

1. This Morning: I didn't get home from Utah until very early this morning and I did NOT want to get up for psychology in like 3 hours. But when my alarm went off, I eventually forced myself to get up and go. At first I was mad because when I got all the way to the building, I learned my class was cancelled, I wanted to go back in time and I should have just stayed in bed. It ended up being a great thing because I got to use that time to get juice and visit with Juli. If I went back in time and stayed in bed that wouldn't have happened. 

2. Hurting friends: My least favorite! I don't like when my mistakes hurt others. I made a mistake a few days ago that really hurt a dear friend of mine. At first I wished and wished I could go back in time and change it. Thinking about it now without that experience I wouldn't have learned how to be a better, different kind of friend. I wouldn't have learned not think about only myself so much all the time. Although I hate to hurt people and I try to avoid it. I learn so much every time I do. I become a better person. It  just sucks it has to happen the hard way. 

3. Failing Tests: College life is full of this for me. I hate failing, I always feel so dumb. I always want to go back in time and study harder or cheat cause now I know the questions so I could find out the answers and then go back and take the test again. BUT if I never failed the tests I wouldn't learn how to study. I wouldn't get that awesome feeling of accomplishment when I pass one. 

4. Heart Breaks:  Often the things we want to go back and change are huge. Basically the plot of any major chick flick.... Heart break = Suck! But are also somewhat necessary and something that we shouldn't wish to go back in time and change. You can learn a lot from them. For example: If someone hurts your feelings by doing or saying something you can learn more about who you are. And about who they are. How people treat each other says a lot about them, and how you acted or got to that point where they hurt you (or vice verse-a) says a LOT about you. 

5. Sunscreen: Sometimes these lessons we learn can be small and simple. I was looking at old pictures on the Facebook and was reminded of an awesome beach birthday party from last year. Everyone that went got BAD sun burn. It was so funny to go to work on the following Monday because you could tell who went to the party. We were walking around like old people making faces every time our burns were touched, or we moved in the wrong way. We all wished we could go back in time and change that. Simple lessons = simple solutions. 




No comments:

Post a Comment